Advertisement
Advertisement

The most common items at home that pose a threat to your pet’s life include cleaning products, human foods, and medicines.

Pet parents should understand how risky it is to let these household items be within your pets’ reach.

Consequences include suffocation, intoxication, and worst, death of your beloved pet.

Advertisement

Safety Tips to Avoid Choking and Poisoning

Advertisement

If you don’t keep dangerous items away from the sight of your dog, chances are they will put their life at risk. Chewing on pills and medicines in your cabinet can poison them.

Dogs, especially puppies, can be playful and swallow anything their mouth finds.

Swallowing toxic materials can choke them and lead to death. So, if you really care for your pet, make sure these dangerous items are out of their reach.

The more aware you are of these things, the safer your pet will be at home.

In case of swallowing, the best thing you can do is bring him immediately to the nearest animal clinic to prevent poisoning and choking.

Do not try to help them by yourself, professional help is necessary during these emergencies.

Keep OTC Medications in a Safe Place

The supplements, vitamins, or herbal remedies that you are taking must be kept in a locked cabinet that dogs can’t reach or open. These are all dangerous when ingested by animals. Some of the brands to get rid of are Motrin, Tylenol, and Aleve.

For prescription medications, same with OTC drugs, store them in a secured place. Any drugs formulated for humans won’t do anything good to your pet, other than danger.

These drugs, such as antidepressants, benzodiazepines, ACE inhibitors, and birth control pills are all toxic to animals.

Get Rid of Toxic Plants

Another dangerous item found in homes that can harm dogs are toxic plants. Certain plant species can irritate your pets, such as azalea, daffodil, autumn crocus, hyacinth, mistletoe, lily, foxglove, poinsettia, tulip, and rhododendron.

You can research or ask your vet to get a complete list of the dangerous plants you may have at home. Once identified, immediately get rid of them so that your dog won’t ingest them.

It’s better to be safe than sorry, remember?

Deadly Household Items

The most common household objects that harm dogs are those made with chemicals and toxins including batteries, bait traps, foil, fertilizer, drain cleaner, foam insulation, paint, rat poison, pennies, pool chemicals, zinc, toads, and many others.

In terms of “dangerous” foods, the ones you need to avoid giving your pet are avocado, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, chocolate, garlic, baby food, bread dough, dairy products, coffee grounds, nuts, milk, grapes, mushroom, spinach, onion, raw meat, and unripe tomatoes.

These are only some of the food items that you need to keep away from your pooch. When ingested, they can cause serious medical problems like pancreatitis and stomach upset. So, make sure your home is safe from any of these dangerous items or suffer the consequences.

So, is your home safe for your pooch? How sure are you?

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here